Emergency Fire Damage Tips
Here are some IMPORTANT dos and don’ts of dealing with fire damage that will keep you safe, and make SERVPRO’s job easier to make your property “Like it never even happened.”
- Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage. We know it may be tempting to take care of your possessions, your home, your business, whatever it may be, but SERVPRO will respond quickly and efficiently so you don’t need to expose yourself to any unsafe conditions or accidents.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.
If you have any questions or an urge to clean, repair or remove something yourself please call SERVPRO of Wyomissing first at (610)208-0300.
Emergency Mold Damage Tips
Here are some IMPORTANT do’s and don’ts of defending against mold growth in your home or business that will keep you safe, and make SERVPRO’s job easier to make your property “Like it never even happened.”
First things first: Prompt mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth, which can be visible in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions.
- Keep the humidity between 30 to 60 percent.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building, and perform necessary maintenance.
- Provide for proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Do not spray bleach on mold to solve the problem. The water in the bleach feeds the mold!
- Contact SERVPRO of Wyomissing for assistance after a water damage or if you have any questions about mold remediation at (610)208-0300.
Does your business need an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP)?
SERVPRO of Wyomissing has experience mitigating property damaged by fire, water, sewage, mold and smoke. Through countless years on the job, we’ve discovered businesses that do not have an emergency plan in place, prior to a disaster, sustain much greater losses, and as a result, are out of business for far longer.
Avoid this loss AND headache by downloading the SERVPRO app. SERVPRO of Wyomissing is just a click away!
By developing a SERVPRO ERP for your business, you minimize business interruption. Knowing what to do, who to call and what to expect in advance is the key to getting your business booming again.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile includes:
- The responsibility of SERVPRO of Wyomissing as your disaster mitigation provider
- A no-cost assessment of your facility
- A document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency, such as actual photos of water shut-off valve locations, gas shut-off valve locations, electric panels, HVAC systems, major utilities, priority areas, etc.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
- A contact list for the line of command for authorizing work
Give us a call today! Our ERP specialist, Rodney, will gladly come to discuss your individualized emergency plan for your business. Let's get started!
Water Damage 101
Here at SERVPRO of Wyomissing, we know reaction time is EVERYTHING! Is your home or business being threatened by water damage, like a pipe bursting? This is the timeframe of what will happen in the course of minutes, days and weeks if you don’t call us to handle your water emergency:
- Water spreads throughout the property and saturates all surfaces
- Water absorbs into carpets, walls, etc.
- Furniture finishes may bleed
- Water begins to wick up the drywall
- Furniture begins to warp and crack
- Musty odor appears
2 Days – 1 Week:
- Mold may begin to grow
- Doors, windows etc. begin to swell and warp
- Hardwood flooring begins to cup, buckle or rise
- Tile may begin to crack
- Vinyl flooring will begin to curl
More Than 1 Week:
- Demolition is required
- Mitigation and repair costs increase dramatically
- Serious health risk may become an issue
If your home or business sustained water damage DON’T wait. Call your SERVPRO team right away at 610-208-0300. Pick up the phone and consider us ON THE WAY!!
Your SERVPRO Lingo: Basics - Part II
Understanding our language helps YOU during a loss.
Certain terminology during emergency situations can be confusing, daunting and an added stress. Although SERVPRO team members do their best to explain and educate in the field, we know our customers like to stay informed throughout the entire process. Do you want to better understand what is happening in your home or business? Read over these common field terms and explanations used in the Insurance Industry by restoration professionals:
Anti-Microbial Spray: A one-step disinfectant cleaner SERVPRO uses that is specially formulated for the majority of water damage restoration jobs
Contents Budget: A budget set aside by your policy that covers CONTENTS only, such as sofas, clothing, books, dishes, electronics, etc.
Desk Adjuster: The person who authorizes work and pays your claim according to your coverage limits
Drying Process: About a 3-5 day process to dry the structure and/or its contents, until moisture and atmospheric levels have reached a pre-determined goal
Field Adjuster: The person assigned to the loss from your insurance company to determine the scope of restoration work (repairs)
HEPA-500 Air Scrubber: A high-efficiency air scrubber, with a specialized filter capable of removing 99.7% of particles, that is commonly used in mold or odor jobs
Masking Agents: Masking agenst are designed to prevent or remove heightened awareness to odors by providing a fragrance, which is stronger and more pleasant to smell while the source of the odor is being eliminated.
Mitigation Budget: A budget set aside for emergency services to begin the restoration of your property such as drying, removing carpet/pad, cutting drywall, etc.
Smoke Damage Removal: The process of neutralizing or removing smoke odors that linger after fires.
Structural Budget: A Budget set aside by your policy that covers replacement or restoration of walls, floor, ceilings, etc.
SERVPRO of Wyomissing is always “Here to Help,” before, during and after a loss or damaged situation!
Your Dryer Could Be A Fire Hazard
Did you know that according to the National Fire Protection Association there are almost 17,000 dryer fires a year?
And the damage can be deadly. These fires have caused about 51 deaths, 280 injuries and over $236 million in property loss and damage.
So how can you do your best to prevent these fires from starting? Clean your dryer vents!
How do you know if your dryer needs cleaning or unclogging? Here are a few signs:
- Clothing smells musty after a drying cycle
- Dryer sheets have an odor after each cycle
- Abnormal amount of heat on clothes or in room where your washer and dryer are located
- Excessive amount of lint build up in the lint trap after a cycle
And here are some more tips on how to prevent a dryer fire:
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings before installing a new appliance
- Try to clean the filter at least every 5 months with a nylon brush if it does become clogged
- Check to make sure the dryer lint filter is cleaned out before and after each load of wash
- Check your vent pipe for lint every 3 months
- Ensure that the outdoor vent cover is open when the dryer is turned on
- Be vigilant during the springtime, and check your dryer vent outside to make sure no birds have made a new home
If you have any questions or concerns about your dryer, please call SERVPRO of Wyomissing at (610)208-0300.
How To Stay Safe After A Flood
The Wyomissing area is no stranger to floods, whether it’s from a thunderstorm in the summer or wacky weather in the winter that quickly turns frozen snow into a melted mess.
Here are some things to consider when your home is flooded:
Electrical Wires and Gas Lines
Is there any chance the flood reached outlets, electrical wires or gas lines? If so, contact a professional as soon as possible. This is not only dangerous, but will cost more money in the future if left alone.
If you let fresh water sit long enough from a flood damage it can breed bacteria and eventually become grey or black water that is damaging and requires special precautions. Dealing with fresh water damage as soon as possible is imperative.
If the water doesn't destroy your home and belongings, then the mold can. Did you know it only takes 24 hours for mold to appear? Beyond just flooding, mold is one of the most common problems SERVPRO of Wyomissing faces. This is why it’s smart to anticipate the need for mold remediation. If you wait too long, the mold will multiply rapidly and become more and more stubborn. If it turns to black mold, then toxicity in the air may cause effects to your property and your health.
One of the most devastating things about water damage is how it can steal away prized possessions. Photos, family heirlooms and important documents can get wrecked within a day. You’ll have even bigger problems if the water penetrates your furniture, electronics and appliances. If the water damage is handled immediately, then you may be able to save these items. If you wait then you are not only losing valued items, you are also losing thousands of dollars in damages, replacements, and repairs.
If you need help remediating flood damage after a storm, then call your local SERVPRO at (610)208-0300!
How to Prevent Winter Water Damage in Your Wyomissing Home
We’re halfway through winter, and it’s a good time to check in on potential areas of your home that may cause problems during a storm or cold freeze, or have weathered by the current elements.
First things first are to make sure that your roof and gutters are holding up under the elements. Properly maintaining these two parts of your home is essential in keeping problems, especially water losses, from forming all the way from your roof to your foundation.
Another area to keep in check during the winter months is the insulation and other materials under your shingles because a small leak in the roof can lead to big problems. For instance, a small leak can cause the insulation to compress and prevent heat from escaping your home. In the winter added heat seems ideal, but actually this addition of warmth will lead to the susceptibility of ice dams building up on your roof. Ice dams create a whole host of issues, like wall stains and crumbling drywall.
If you notice these things aren’t in the best shape or you just want to be as best prepared for the next winter storm, then SERVPRO of Wyomissing recommends remediating now than later.
SERVPRO of Wyomissing has the professional team you need to help you prevent, tackle and mitigate any water damage that comes your way this season. Give us a call at (610)208-0300 with any questions or concerns!
The SERVPRO of Wyomissing Story
SERVPRO of Wyomissing opened its doors in May 2010 under the leadership of Peter Bruni and Michele McEntee. Pete saw great opportunity with the SERVPRO of Wyomissing franchise to expand his resume that was already filled with real estate, plumbing, and electrical expertise. He employed his best friend Michele to be his partner because of her own work credentials, her dedication and sympathy for people and her commitment to Pete’s vision for the Wyomissing community. The two friends had an understanding and commitment to each other to serve the Wyomissing community, and to leave a legacy for Pete’s family once they realized Pete’s health was in jeopardy. Unfortunately, the Bruni family, SERVPRO and the greater Wyomissing area lost Pete in 2016.
Since then, Michele continues to lead SERVPRO of Wyomissing with Pete’s continued support and the help of Rodney, Michele’s right hand man. Rodney grew up in the Wyomissing area, and continues to grow under the SERVPRO umbrella. For Rodney, “SERVPRO is family.”
SERVPRO of Wyomissing is way more than just your local fire and water restoration company, it’s all about honor, respect and friendship more than anything else.
How To Spot Water Damage In Your Commercial Building
As a business owner or a property manager, you’re busy with a million things happening at once. But it’s important to recognize when water infiltrates your commercial property because the longer a leak lasts, the more damage it does. Time is crucial in tackling water damage.
Cracking of paint or wallpaper under the pressure of a leak is one of the most common and easiest to spot signs of water damage. This happens once water has leaked past the mortar joints.
Do you know that mildewy smell that comes with dark and damp spaces? This is often a sign that water has made it past the exterior of your property. If you find mold or mildew growing anywhere on your premise be sure to call a professional service like SERVPRO of Wyomissing.
Rust staining is a sign of water damage in concrete structures where red rust becomes visible on a lighter surface. This is a late-sign for water damage as it means that the water has penetrated the steel foundation. Be mindful that steel expands as it rusts.
Watching out for these signs will keep water from damaging your building any further, and causing potential disaster.
At SERVPRO of Wyomissing, we are here to help you with your commercial property so you don’t have to worry about what happens when water leaks into your building. We can always make it "Like it never even happened."