Recent Fire Damage Posts

Emergency Fire Damage Tips

6/11/2020 (Permalink)

Here are some IMPORTANT dos and don’ts of dealing with fire damage that will keep you safe, and make SERVPRO’s job easier to make your property “Like it never even happened.”

  1. Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage. We know it may be tempting to take care of your possessions, your home, your business, whatever it may be, but SERVPRO will respond quickly and efficiently so you don’t need to expose yourself to any unsafe conditions or accidents.
  1. Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
  1. If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  1. Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
  1. Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
  1. Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.

If you have any questions or an urge to clean, repair or remove something yourself please call SERVPRO of Wyomissing first at (610)208-0300.

Everything You Need To Know About Smoke Damage

2/14/2020 (Permalink)

Did you know there are three main types of fire, smoke and residues that can plague your home after a fire?

Natural fires leave behind a dry powdery residue when they come in contact with things like wood or paper, products made from environmental substances. The residue will look grey/black in color, and will be way easier to clean up than any other fire circumstances. 

Fires caused by the burning of proteins like dishes rich in meat and beans will leave behind a yellow/brown residue. With these kinds of smoke damage situations the residue will feel greasy because of its interaction with food, and thus will be pretty hard to clean up. 

Synthetic residues appear when oil based materials, like plastics and fabrics are burned in a fire. So this could be anything from furniture, carpets, electronics, toys, etc. When these materials burn they produce a very thick black smoke that will cover your house in a hard to clean up residue. In this situation avoid touching any of the synthetic residue to prevent smearing, and let a certified professional service, like SERVPRO of Wyomissing, clean it up to ensure your safety and your home’s.

If you have any smoke damage that you need cleaned, call SERVPRO of Wyomissing at (610)208-0300.



Your Dryer Could Be A Fire Hazard

2/12/2020 (Permalink)

Did you know that according to the National Fire Protection Association there are almost 17,000 dryer fires a year? 

And the damage can be deadly. These fires have caused about 51 deaths, 280 injuries and over $236 million in property loss and damage. 

So how can you do your best to prevent these fires from starting? Clean your dryer vents! 

How do you know if your dryer needs cleaning or unclogging? Here are a few signs:

  • Clothing smells musty after a drying cycle
  • Dryer sheets have an odor after each cycle
  • Abnormal amount of heat on clothes or in room where your washer and dryer are located
  • Excessive amount of lint build up in the lint trap after a cycle

And here are some more tips on how to prevent a dryer fire:

  • Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings before installing a new appliance
  • Try to clean the filter at least every 5 months with a nylon brush if it does become clogged
  • Check to make sure the dryer lint filter is cleaned out before and after each load of wash
  • Check your vent pipe for lint every 3 months 
  • Ensure that the outdoor vent cover is open when the dryer is turned on 
  • Be vigilant during the springtime, and check your dryer vent outside to make sure no birds have made a new home 

If you have any questions or concerns about your dryer, please call SERVPRO of Wyomissing at (610)208-0300.

A Holiday Fire Hazard You Need To Be Aware Of

11/12/2019 (Permalink)

If you celebrate Christmas, then you will probably have a tree of some kind looming in your home. And did you know this is putting you and your property at risk for damage? Christmas trees alone result in 13 million dollars, annually, in property damage. More importantly, these fires present real risk towards family and friends. When showcasing a live tree in your home, the combination of tree dryness, electrical malfunction with lights and poorly located heating sources can make for a deadly combination. And no one wants to deal with a home disaster, especially around the holidays.

But if your holiday is just not complete without a live tree, follow these safety precautions to keep threats at bay:

  • Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily.
  • Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights, and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry out.
  • Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested in a lab by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety, and throw out any damaged lights.
  • Any lights you use outdoors must be labeled suitable for exterior placement, and be sure to plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
  • Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree, surrounding furniture and décor.
  • Bedtime means lights off! Don’t forget to turn your Christmas tree lights off each night.

When your tree begins to drop its needles, it’s time to say goodbye to your evergreen foliage until next year. So this year, follow our guidelines to avoid being another statistic in the National Fire Protection Association or United States Fire Administration report during the upcoming holiday season.

How To Maintain Your Fireplace

11/12/2019 (Permalink)

As we get closer to winter and frigid temperatures, pools are closing, and fireplaces are heating up. And we, just as much as everyone else, love coming home to a warm house, crackling wood and that smell that is just quintessential winter, snow and cozy clothes.

But with a fireplace, comes the risk of potential firedamage if your fireplace is not well maintained or cleaned.

So to avoid any possible disasters, here are some fireplace safety tips to practice in your home:

  • Make sure to open the flue damper to avoid any clogging of soot. You do not want soot or smoke to build up inside or around your fireplace because soot is a silent killer for you and your home.
  • When building your fire, be sure to safely position your logs as to avoid any burning logs from falling and spreading flames beyond the safety of your fireplace.
  • Clean your fireplace regularly, and if you have gas logs then make sure to do the same with them as well.

While those are just some general tips to keep you and your home safe, also be more cautious as the holidays come into full swing. Be vigilant about lighting the menorah and where your stockings hang.

To learn more about how to prevent fireplace disasters in your home, contact the fire restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Wyomissing at (610) 208-0300!

All the Facts That You Need to Know About Fire

11/7/2019 (Permalink)

  1. Inhaling smoke and soot causes more deaths a year than actual fire. If you have ingested any smoke, go to the hospital to take care of yourself and we'll take care of your home.
  1. Soot is carbon particles from wood, coal or oil that spread, float and cover every inch of surface that it touches. Sometimes you can´t even see it.
  1. If not treated, soot has the potential to create serious health issues, like cancer, and creates defects in newborns. Why? Soot produces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are responsible for gene mutations.
  1. Interestingly enough, water can be good or bad for fire depending on the situation. Water puts out most fires, except for kitchen fires, but you need to make sure that after the fire is extinguished that your property is completely dried. If you don´t, you run the risk of not only fire damage, but mold and water damage as well.
  1. Did you know mold can begin to grow as quickly as 48 hours after water damage occurs.
  1. If you decide to clean your home individually then make sure you are wearing the proper attire to protect your health. Work gloves, safety goggles, face mask are imperative.
  1. Make sure to get a copy of your fire report. It´s a public document that will make the entire insurance process so much easier for all involved.
  1. Respect and appreciate your local firefighters.

Need Fire Restoration Advice Or Services? Call SERVPRO of Wyomissing first at (610)208-0300.